Cattle Creep, Kyle of Lochalsh Station
01 July 2010
- News Type:
- Site of the Month
This is not the entrance to Traitors’ Gate, but rather a cattle creep at the very end of the Kyle of Lochalsh station platform. It is the only surviving one of four such ramps which allowed cattle, horses and sheep to be landed directly from the steamers at any state of tide, for onward shipment by train. The cobbled ramp allowed the animals to move without slipping. The station and cattle creep dates from 1897 when the Dingwall to Kyle line was eventually extended from Stromeferry to Kyle, the most expensive section of rail due to engineering challenges. The line carried both passengers and livestock.
With thanks to Peter Beck, who researched sites and features on this section of the Kyle line for the ARCH Heritage Along the Kyle Line course. A display of the results from the course can be seen over the summer 2010 at the Friends of the Kyle Line Museum. Binders with related information are at the Museum and at Kyle, Plockton and Lochcarron libraries.
- 04/02/2019 Cromarty Medieval Burgh
- 03/01/2019 Raigmore Neolithic house and Bronze Age cairn
- 02/03/2014 Ardersier Toll House
- 01/01/2014 Inverness Poorhouse
- 01/11/2013 Munlochy Bay jetty
- 04/08/2013 Souterrain at Suisnish on Raasay
- 05/07/2013 Railway between Muir of Ord and Fortrose
- 02/06/2013 The Chalet, Knockfarrell
- 02/05/2013 Neacrath Bridge, Tomatin
- 01/04/2013 Ormond Castle