Bronze Age gold ring from Cromarty
04 February 2019
- News Type:
- Find of the Month
This fragment of a small gold ring was found near Cromarty. It probably dates to the Late Bronze Age (c. 1000-800 BC). Similar objects are found in gold or, as this case, copper alloy wrapped with gold sheeting. They are often interpreted as a hair rings, but their exact function is unknown. A number were found at Sculptor’s Cave, Covesea in Moray (not far as the crow flies from Cromarty). This cave had clearly been the site for ritual activities from at least the Bronze Age, and a rich array of objects and human remains have been found there. These included heads of children which seem to have been associated with these gold rings, hence suggesting they may have been hair rings. Another ring was found nearby at Clarkly Hill near Burghead.
Similar rings are most commonly found in Ireland, but also in Scotland (including a recent find from Caithness), Wales, southern England, France and the Low Countries. Some examples are being investigated as part of a new project: The Gold in Britain’s Auriferous Regions, 2450-800 BC: towards a coherent Research Framework and Strategy project (see gold finds of the week. An example from Wales investigated for the project features on the National Museum of Wales website too.), where an example of a ring from South Uist is featured as one of the
The finding of such a ring at Cromarty is quite intriguing, and shows the links across the firth to Moray.
Photo courtesy of Cromarty Courthouse Museum.
- 04/09/2020 Storr Rock Viking Silver Hoard
- 07/08/2020 Mesolithic bloodstone artefacts from Camas Daraich, Skye
- 01/07/2020 Samian Pottery from Dun Flodigarry, Skye
- 01/06/2020 Slag from Dun Creich, Sutherland
- 01/05/2020 Medieval boot and hose from Portmahomack
- 01/04/2020 Prehistoric cut wood from near Loch Farlary, Golspie
- 01/03/2020 Bronze Age Sword from Fendom near Tain
- 03/02/2020 Conan Pictish Cross Slab
- 02/01/2020 Wooden Bowl from Loch a’ Ghlinne Bhig, Bracadale, Skye
- 01/12/2019 Rubh' an Dunain Boat Timber